Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Getting started

This is where we are going to document our experience from start to finish with moving to Thailand and becoming expatriates. Okay we all know it will be me doing the work and Justin reading about it as well, if even that. :)

Expatriates... is that really what we are, that word seems so daunting, scary and nothing I ever thought I would say to describe myself. It always seemed to me like a term describing a person abandoning their life and running away. And at this point in my life, that couldn't be farther from the truth as to where I am.

I love my life (family, friends, house, job, etc) so why am I/we doing this. Justin works for Ford and is being offered this amazing opportunity. And if you are reading this, then you know how much we love to travel and experience other cultures. So when this offer came up, we couldn't pass it up.

We will be moving in December-ish, or so we are told at the moment, and will be relocated there for the next 2-3 years.

I am excited to go and have the experience/opportunity. However... nothing, I mean nothing, comes between me and my family. And this move, is difficult because of the physical distance I will have with our family. Ya ya, I know there is a phone, and web cams, and planes, blah blah blah. But there is nothing that can replace playing with my niece and nephew, hanging out with my siblings, working around the farm with my parents, or gabbing with my grandmother over McDonald's, ice cream and a puzzle. Those are just things that will have to be on hold for this time period. And to top it off, a new addition is coming to the family in December (Trav & Steph's second) and I'll be damned if I miss out on seeing and holding the baby. It is my job to pull night shifts and work to get the baby to sleep through the night on their own. A job I am unwilling to share. :)

I think the real difficult part at this point is the unknowns such as how often will I be coming home, and will my family take the plunge to fly 20 hours and spend the $2,000 bucks to get over to see us. It is a lot to ask of anyone. And then the most important questions like can I have a maid, a cook and don't forget the pool boy. :)

Anyhow... this will be your one stop shop to hear about our crazy Thai adventure. This is for you Heather, I will talk Thai aka Tricia talk Thai (I've got 200 hours lined up with a personal trainer to get me all taught up).

Hopefully, the travel God's that don't usually grace my travelling experience decide to change their minds and start treating me a little different. Cause in a matter of weeks I will be flying around the globe from Detroit to Seoul South Korea to Bangkok Thailand to Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne to Sydney to Los Angeles to Detroit.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you! Can't wait to follow your adventures on your blog and will definitely want to come visit you!!!
    Fidd

    ReplyDelete